It’s likely that neither the governor nor the dean of a school is among the highest paid state employees In USA. However, who works for the state? Any person who works for a state agency in any division of the government is considered a state employee.
A state employee may also be referred to as a special state appointee or a state official. By far the best paid governmental employees in your state is most likely a football or basketball coach.
Most likely, neither a school dean nor the governor are among the highest paid state employees in the United States. But who works for the state, exactly? Any person who serves in any capacity for a state agency is considered a state employee.
State officers and special state appointees are other terms for state employees. By far, a football or basketball coach earns more money than any other government employee in your state.
The most recent data gathered by ESPN shows that coaches in sports and athletics make the most money. You might want to brush up on your football expertise if you’re considering changing careers.
Although it is well known that football and basketball coaches at public colleges command substantial wages, other public employees are paid nearly as much. Some of this public personnel are multi-millionaires; you may not be aware of just how high their pay may go.
GOBankingRates examined data from USA Today’s 2018 NCAA salary reports and OpenTheBooks.com to identify the highest paid public employees in each state. Employees were then rated by their overall 2018 compensation.
The data is current as of 2018, even if some of these individuals have subsequently lost their jobs.
29 of the highest paid public officials on this list held roles as head football coaches, and the majority of them received annual salaries of at least $1 million. There were just three head football coaches who made less than $1 million annually.
Although there are more football coaches on this list than basketball coaches, none of them made less than $1 million in 2018. In fact, a college basketball coach comes in first place, earning an astounding annual income of more than $9 million.
University presidents, a dean of a medical school, a superintendent of schools, and a staff surgeon round out the list of the highest paid public officials on GOBankingRates, all of whom made less than $1 million in 2018.
These public workers nevertheless received significant wages, ranging from $231,210 to $876,442 annually.
How much do American state employees make on average?
The fact that state employees in the US earn much more money than workers in other nations means that they are well-paid. The United States has an advantage over other nations in terms of average income due to high levels of demand and supply, as well as the cost of living.
Additionally, the United States is a technical powerhouse with world-class businesses like Apple, Microsoft, and Amazon that heavily rely on IT specialists and raise living standards across the nation.
The average yearly wage for state employees in the United States is roughly $94,700. Private sector employees’ average take-home income ranges from $24,000 (the lowest average) to $423,000 (the highest average).
The compensation of the highest paid state employee includes housing, transportation, and other benefits.
Various professions have wildly different wage ranges. The average salary in the US is $5,555 per month as of August 7, 2021. The fact that 48 of the top 50 state employees in terms of pay in the USA are men should also be noted.
Top 25 State Employees Paid Most in the USA
The following individuals are on the list of highest paid state employees in USA who earn the most money:
1. Scott Frost, Nebraska — $5 million
One of the top coaches in the league, Scott Frost is the head coach of the Nebraska Cornhuskers and makes at least $5 million a year. He has promised to give back an unspecified amount of his income as a result of the outbreak. He is one of the highest paid state employees in USA
2. Cuonzo Martin, Missouri — $2.9 million
Apart from retiring football coach Gary Pinkel, who received $4 million in 2015, Cuonzo Martin is now the He is one of the highest paid state employees in USA. highest paid head basketball coach in Missouri athletics history after signing a seven-year contract in 2017.
In accordance with his contract, Martin received a $300,000 base salary plus an additional $2.6 million in 2020. He will receive an average salary of $3 million annually during the duration of the contract (plus a slew of other enticing benefits).
3. Mississippi’s Lane Kiffin – $3.9 million
When Matt Luke was the head football coach at Ole Miss, earning $3 million annually until being replaced by Lane Kiffin, he was one of the He is one of highest paid state employees in USA.
In 2020, Kiffin agreed to a four-year, $16.2 million contract. From 2021 to 2023, it will increase by $100,000 annually, reaching $4.2 million.
4. Louisiana’s Ed Orgeron $10.7 million
Behind only Nick Saban of Alabama, Ed Orgeron, the head coach of the storied LSU football club, earned the second-highest salary in college football last year.
His enormous paycheck is a component of a $42 million contract extension he signed in February that also includes a $6 million basic pay. Additionally, for the first two years of the deal, there will be a $5 million split-dollar life insurance policy.
5. John Calipari- $8.2 million
Basketball coach at the University of Kentucky for many years, John Calipari is a member of the Hall of Fame and an NCAA Champion. This position has the highest paid state employees in USA.
6. Iowan Kirk Ferentz, $4,1 million
The University of Iowa’s head football coach, Kirk Ferentz, has been paid more than twice as much since 2009 than the highest paid state employees in USA.
His yearly income was $4.8 million, but due to budget cuts connected to COVID, he and other top university administrators were obliged to take a 15 percent pay reduction.
7. Bill Self, Kansas, $3.6M
Bill Self, the longtime head basketball coach at the University of Kansas, consented to a compensation cut despite suffering financial losses as a result of the outbreak.
He lost $400,000, or 10% of his $4 million in wages, in 2020, but he was still able to maintain his status as Kansas’ highest paid state employees in USA.
8. Jeff Brohm, Indiana — $5.3 million
Jeff Brohm’s annual salary as Purdue University’s head football coach has just increased from $4.2 million to $4.8 million in 2019.
One of the top 10 highest paid state employees in USA college football coaches, Brohm’s pay increased to $5.3 million after a signing bonus that was distributed over the first two years of the seven-year contract.
Read Also: Best Driving Classes Online in 2022
9. Colorado, Karl Dorrell — $3,2,000,000
Before he was sacked, Mike MacIntyre, the head football coach at the University of Colorado Boulder, earned the highest paid state employees in USA in the state of Colorado.
Karl Dorrell, who was chosen as his successor at the end of February, agreed to a five-year, $18 million deal with an introductory yearly salary of $3.2 million. His annual increase in pay is $200,000, reaching a maximum of $4 million.
10. Randy Edsall, of Connecticut, received $1.1 million.
Randy Edsall received a five-year, $5.5 million contract in 2017 that extends through 2021 as the head football coach at the University of Connecticut.
With the potential to earn hundreds of thousands more in bonuses for things like winning titles, it provides him with an annual salary guarantee of $1.1 million. He also receives retention bonuses totaling $500,000 for the following two years: $300,000 in 2019 and $200,000 in 2021.
11. $2.5 million Eric Musselman, Arkansas
After steering the University of Arkansas to a miserable 4-18 start in 2019, Chad Morris, the highest paid state employees in USA in Arkansas, was let go. Eric Musselman replaced him and left Nevada.
He signed a $12.5 million, five-year deal that includes a number of significant prizes, ranging from $100,000 to $500,000, depending on whether the Razorbacks qualify for and how far they advance in the NCAA tournament.
12. California’s Chip Kelley earned $3.5 million.
Chip Kelley is one of the highest paid state employees in USA. The head football coach at UCLA, Chip Kelley, just agreed to a five-year, $23.3 million contract that will pay him $300,000 year for the following five years.
His yearly “talent fee,” which he receives for speaking at fundraising events, press conferences, and university events, is where the real money comes from. The talent fee was $3 million in the first year, rose to $3.2 million in 2021, and is anticipated to rise to $4.3 million by the end of his deal.
13. $5 million Scott Frost, Nebraska
The head coach of the University of Nebraska’s football team, the Cornhuskers, Scott Frost, is also the highest paid state employees in the public sector.
At the conclusion of 2017, he consented to receive $35 million from the club over a seven-year period. Frost, a University of Nebraska-Lincoln alum, has been asked to continue coaching the club for an additional two years after his present contract expires in 2024 due to his outstanding performance.
Read Also: Best Radiation Therapist Schools In 2022
14. $5,7 million for James Franklin, Pennsylvania
One of the highest paid state employees in the USA is James Franklin, a former quarterback for the East Stroudsburg University of Pennsylvania.
He spent the entire four years on the team. James Franklin has had a fruitful coaching career since 1995, and he has served as the Nittany Lions’ head coach since 2014.
15. Oklahoma’s Lincoln Riley – $6,4 million
Lincoln Riley is the youngest multimillionaire on the list and the highest paid state employees in USA in public employees by State.
He accomplished this at the age of 36. Lincoln Riley, who has a successful track record, was appointed head football coach of the University of Oklahoma Sooners in 2017. During his brief time with the squad, he is credited with leading the Sooners to remarkable success.
16. Indiana’s Jeff Brohm earned $6.6 million.
Kentucky-born Jeff Brohm previously held the role of quarterback. He is the head coach of the Purdue University Boilermakers, earning him the state’s highest paid state employees in USA in public servant.
In 2017, Brohm agreed to a $29 million contract with Purdue. He further received $3.6 million in bonuses on top of his base pay. The Boilermakers won the Foster Farms Bowl thanks to Brohm’s daring and creative plays. His skill was amply displayed in this way.
17. Georgia’s Kirby Smart, $6.9 million
One of the highest paid state employees in USA is Kirby Smart. He received an honors degree from the University of Georgia in the 1990s.
He spent seven years as an assistant football coach at the University of Alabama before taking over as head coach in 2015. Even more outstanding than he was, his leadership group guided the Bulldogs to the Rose Bowl and the SEC Championship game.
18. $7.5 million for Jimbo Fisher in Texas
Texas A&M hired Jimbo Fisher in 2017 on a ten-year, $75 million deal, which set a record. This came up after he triumphantly guided Florida State University to victories, earning him the highest paid state employees in USA in the public sector.
His $7 million in supplemental income is in addition to his $500,000 base wage. According to rumors, he also has access to two high-end cars and a complete country club membership. Fisher has earned the most victories in the history of the school.
19. $7.5 million for Jim Harbaugh in Michigan.
Jim Harbaugh went to the University of Michigan and at one point played for the group. He is the team’s current coach and earns millions of dollars annually, making him the highest paid state employees in USA in the public sector. That gives me a really strong sense of patriotism.
20. Alabama’s Nick Saban receives $8.9 million
Nick Saban has become a wealthy Alabamian despite having roots in West Virginia, making him the highest paid state employees in USA. At the University of Alabama, he serves as the head coach of the Crimson Tide.
In 2018, he agreed to a new eight-year deal worth at least $74 million. Previously, Saban served as the head coach of the Miami Dolphins, who won six titles. Media groups like CBS Sports have acclaimed him as the best college football coach in history.
Read also: 10 Top Cheapest Colleges in Indianapolis
21. Kentucky’s John Calipari receives $9.3 million.
On the list of highest paid state employees in USA, John Calipari, the head coach of the University of Kentucky men’s basketball team, is tied with Dabo Swinney, the head coach of the Clemson Tigers, for first place.
Since taking over as head coach of the Kentucky Wildcats in 2009, Calipari has earned the reputation as one of the highest paid basketball coaches in history. Last year, John Calipari agreed to a $86 million, 10-year deal.
22. South Carolina’s Dabo Swinney received $9.3 million.
One of the highest paid state employees in USA is Clemson University’s Dabo Swinney, the football coach. Since taking over as the Clemson Tigers’ head coach in 2008, Swinney has enjoyed great success (13 years).
If you’re wondering how he made his money, it was because he guided the Tigers to two titles, including a record-breaking 15-0 season in 2018 that no collegiate team had accomplished since 1897.
- Discover 10 Cheapest Colleges in Dublin for International Students
- Top 10 Cheapest Universities in Saudi Arabia for International Students
- Discover Top 10 Tips To Starting Your Law Practice Out Of Law School
- 10 List of Cheapest Universities in Sweden for International Students
- Top 10 Accredited Online Colleges In Indiana for International Students
- Discover Keiser University Reviews 2022 | Admission, Tuition, Ranking
- How To Get The Project Management Professional Certification In 2022
The Highest Paid State Employees In USA
We’ll include the highest paid state employees In USA top earners in each US state, along with information about their positions, companies, and the highest income they’ve ever gotten.
- Head football coach at the University of Alabama is Nick Saban. which make him one of the highest paid state employees in USA in Alabama
- $8,307,000 in compensation in total
- President of the University of Alaska Statewide System James Roland and also the highest paid state employees in USA in Alaska
- Compensation in full: $384,599.99
- Sean Miller, University of Arizona’s head men’s basketball coach, Sean Miller is the highest paid state employees in USA in Aizona.
- Compensation in full: $2,700,000.
- Chad Morris is the University of Arkansas’ head football coach.
- Compensation in full: $3,500,000.
- University of California, Los Angeles’ head football coach, Chip Kelly (UCLA).
- Compensation in full: $3,300,000.
- Head football coach of the University of Colorado Boulder, Mike MacIntyre.
- Compensation in full: $2,878,500
- Randy Edsall is the University of Connecticut’s head football coach.
- Compensation in full: $1,000,000
Read Also: 10 Best MCAT PREP Courses In 2022
- President of Delaware Technical Community College Mark T. Brainard.
- The total amount paid was $245,954.82.
- University of Florida head football coach Dan Mullen
- Payout total: $6,070,000.
- Kirby Smart, the University of Georgia’s head football coach.
- Payout in full: $6,603,600
- Staff surgeon Jay Boughanem from Hawaii Health Systems Corp.
- $600,000 in total compensation
- Boise State University’s head football coach, Bryan Harsin.
- $1,650,010 in compensation altogether
- Head football coach at the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign is Lovie Smith.
- $5,000,000 in compensation overall
- Purdue University’s head football coach, Jeff Brohm.
- Compensation in full: $3,800,000.
- Kirk Ferentz is the University of Iowa’s head football coach.
- Compensation in full: $4,700,000.
- Bill Self, the University of Kansas’s head basketball coach
- Compensation in full: $4,066,857
Read Also: Discover LIGS University Review 2022
- John Calipari is the University of Kentucky’s head basketball coach and the highest paid state employees in USA in Kentucky
- Total compensation: $9,276,643
- Ed Orgeron is Louisiana State University’s head football coach.
- Compensation in full: $3,500,000
- University of Maine President Joan Ferrini-Mundy he is the highest paid state employees in USA in Mai ne
- $350,000 is the total compensation.
- Basketball coach Mark Turgeon is in charge at the University of Maryland College Park and he is the highest paid state employees in USA maryland
- $2,847,232 in compensation altogether.
- Michael Collins, the University of Massachusetts Medical School’s chancellor and senior vice president for health sciences is highest paid state employees in USA in Massachusetts.
- A total of $1,069,751.67 was paid out.
- Jim Harbaugh is the University of Michigan’s head football coach, Jim Harbugh is the highest paid state employees in USA in Michigan
- The total amount paid was $7,504,000.
- P.J. Fleck is the University of Minnesota’s head football coach.
- $3,550,000 in total pay.
Read Also: 10 Top Cheapest Colleges in Indianapolis
- Matt Luke, the University of Mississippi’s head football coach.
- Total compensation: $3,000,000.
- Cuonzo Martin is the University of Missouri’s head basketball coach and he is one of the highest paid state employees in USA.
- Compensation in full: $2,800,000.
Trust you found our article on Highest Paid State Employees In USA 2022 helpful. follow our website for more interesting articles.