Do you want to learn more about the best cheerleading colleges, teams, scholarships, clinics, coaches, and the requirements for becoming the best cheerleader?
Do you want to apply to the best cheerleading colleges in the country but don’t know where to begin?
Do you want to discover what cheer skills you have that set you apart from other college cheerleader candidates?
Do you want to learn how to get past the recruitment coach and join one of America’s greatest cheerleading squads?
Here’s a comprehensive guide to all you need to know about college cheerleading. In this article, you’ll learn how to determine if you’re a good fit for cheerleading.
We’ve also provided you skull alternatives to keep you on the radar of cheerleading coaches. This article also has a comprehensive list of colleges that provide cheerleading, as well as cheerleading recruitment rules, or what coaches look for in players before recruiting them.
What is the definition of a college cheerleader?
You’ve undoubtedly seen a college cheerleader before if you’ve ever seen those lovely ladies and gents with sashes in their hands jumping, pulling tricks, and making some cute motions before a game starts.
For games, college cheerleaders create and coordinate an organized cheering squad. It’s a sport that appeals to many college students who aren’t interested in volleyball, football, or other sports.
Despite the fact that cheerleading is not a sanctioned sport at the NCAA Divisions 1, 2, and 3, as well as NAIA and junior colleges, it is a popular sport with a large following.
What are the best cheerleading college’s Recruitment Requirements? | Cheer Recruiting Guidelines
You must go past the cheerleading coach to join a cheerleading team at any of the institutions that have one.
The coach may think you worthy before enlisting you into the cheerleading squad if you demonstrate the necessary talents required by the team. You can perform the following things before meeting with the coach:
- Look into cheering schools.
- Make a video for recruitment.
- Participate in camps and clinics.
- Trials for cheerleading should be attended.
- Develop your cheerleading abilities.
What Cheer Skills Do You Need to Compete in best cheerleading colleges?
You must have the following cheer skills before joining a cheerleading squad:
- Fight music.
- Cheers from the stands.
- Stunts and jumps
- The tumbling (running and standing).
All of this will be showcased in a recruitment video and in-person auditions in front of best cheerleading colleges coaches. However, keep in mind that no one-size-fits-all recruitment criteria exists for all schools.
Additionally, depending on the position you will play on the cheerleading team, some cheer talents will be more advantageous to you during the recruitment process than others.
How Do I Become a Cheerleader in College and Get Recruited?
This is a source of anxiety for all aspiring cheerleaders. Although we have some pointers to help you answer this question, it’s crucial to note that the cheerleading recruiting process differs from school to school.
So, here are some actions you can do to become a cheerleader:
1. Make a list of all the cheerleading colleges in your area.
If you want to pursue cheerleading as a career, you should look for the best cheerleading colleges that allow it. So, first and foremost, create a priority list of universities that provide such opportunities.
Consider the school’s level of rigor, curriculum, location, game-day atmosphere, campus life, and cost while you’re at it.
These institutions should be able to accommodate your athletic, academic, and personal goals.
2. Try contacting college cheerleading coaches.
Another thing you should do is call the cheerleading coach. This is a calculated move to get on the coach’s radar.
You can do so by writing them an email outlining your qualifications, grades, and interest in the program. You can also include a recruiting video.
The coach will advise you on whether or not you should continue. He can also give you advice on how to improve. Or, even better, you’ll receive a greeting card.
Participate in Cheerleading Clinics at Colleges.
You should attend Best Cheerleading college clinics if you’re serious about joining a college cheer team.
3. What exactly are college cheering clinics?
Best Cheerleading college clinics are more akin to camps where cheer recruits study and are graded on the content they will perform during cheer tryouts.
Best Cheerleading college clinics usually start in the autumn. The majority, however, take place in the spring, prior to the official tryout. Find out when your college’s cheerleading college clinics begin by visiting their website.
4. Achieve Academic Success.
Best cheerleading colleges are looking for students that are strong in both athletics and academics.
5. On your own, practice tryout formats.
The majority of cheering schools publish their tryout schedules on their websites. Experiment with those formats. Concentrate on the unique talents that the school requires.
You can discover your way into becoming a cheering teammate at your selected institution by following the steps we’ve outlined.
What Is the Number of Cheerleading Colleges?
Cheerleading is offered in more than 250 best cheerleading colleges across the country. Cheerleading programs are available in NCAA Division 1, Division 2, Division 3, NAIA, and junior colleges.
Each category has its own set of cheerleaders. Some offer coed programs, while others offer just all-girl ones.
According to division, here is a list of colleges that provide cheerleading programs:
Cheerleading Colleges in Division 1.
There are approximately 150 best cheerleading colleges in this division. The Universal Cheerleader Association or the National Cheerleaders Association are the two most common organizations in which they participate.
The following colleges are included in this cheer division:
- Ohio State University is a public university in Columbus, Ohio.
2. Texas Tech University is a public university in Lubbock,
3. The University of Kentucky is located in Lexington, Kentucky.
4. The University of Tennessee is located in Knoxville, Tennessee.
5. Oklahoma State University is a public university in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
6. The University of Mississippi is located in Oxford, Mississippi.
7. The University of Alabama is a public university in the state of Alabama.
8. Mississippi State University is a public university in Mississippi.
9. The University of Central Florida is located in Orlando, Florida.
10. The University of Louisville is located in Louisville, Kentucky.
Cheerleading Colleges in Division 2
Under NCAA Division 2, there are 48 best cheerleading colleges. Division 2 best cheerleading colleges are more difficult to get into.
Furthermore, their experience in division 2 is more intense than in division 1. Furthermore, they compete at the NCA or UCA levels.
The following colleges are included in this cheer division:
- Blinn College is a private liberal arts college located in Blinn,
Drury University is a private university in Missouri.
2. Mckendree University is a private university in Mckendree, North Carolina.
3. Wilmington University is a public university in Wilmington, North Carolina.
4. The College of New Jersey is a public university in New Jersey.
5. The University of West Georgia is located in West Georgia.
6. Oklahoma Baptist University is a Christian university in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
7. California Baptist University is a Christian university in California.
8. Grand Valley State University is a public university in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
9. Central Oklahoma State University
Cheerleading Colleges in Division 3
There are 28 best cheerleading colleges that offer Division 3. Students in division 3 who excel academically have a better chance of receiving financial aid at private universities.
The following colleges are included in this cheer division:
- Elmira College is located in Elmira, New York.
2. SUNY Cortland is a public university in Cortland, New York.
3. Brenau University is a private university located in Brenau,
4. Endicott College is a private college in Endicott, New
5. Davenport University is located in Davenport, Iowa.
6. Stevenson University is a private university in Stevenson, New
7. Frostburg State University is a public university in Frostburg, Maryland.
8. Montclair State University is a public university in Montclair, New Jersey
9. Fitchburg State University is a public university in Fitchburg, Massachusetts.
10. Bridgewater State University is a public university in Bridgewater, Massachusetts.
Cheerleading Colleges in the NAIA
The National Association for Intercollegiate Athletics oversees all NAIA best cheerleading colleges. The majority of NAIA cheerleading universities are located in the Midwest and South.
Cheerleading tournaments are organized by NAIA cheerleading squads. They are up against 12 other teams.
- The following colleges are included in this cheer division:
2. University of Lourdes
3. Midland University is a public university in Midland, Michigan
4. Concordia University is located in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
University of St. Ambrose
5. Missouri Valley College is a community college in Missouri.
6. Martin Methodist College is a non-denominational Christian
7. Oklahoma City University is located in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
8. Missouri Baptist University is a Christian university in Missouri.
9. Saint Francis University is a Catholic university in the United States.
10. Indiana Wesleyan University is a private university in Indiana.
List of the World’s Best Junior Colleges for Cheerleading
There are only 9 Junior Colleges that offer best cheerleading colleges cheering programs, just so you know. There are two levels of junior college cheerleading: advanced and intermediate.
The majority of the tournaments, however, are in the intermediate level. The best cheerleading colleges programs in the world may be found at these junior colleges.
- Navarro College is a private college in Navarro, Texas
- Tyler Junior College is a community college in Tyler, Texas.
- Wallace State University is a public university in Wallace, Alabama.
- Butler Community College is a public community college located in Butler,
- Barton Community College is a community college in Barton, Texas.
- Itawamba Community College is a community college in Itawamba, Mississippi.
- Trinity Valley Community College is a community college in Trinity Valley, California.
- Shelton State Community College is a two-year community college in Shelton,
The Best cheerleading colleges in the United States are listed here.
We’ve put up a list of universities with the best cheerleading programs in the country to help you get into the best cheerleading schools in the country.
The following items are included in the list:
1. The University of Minnesota is located in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
The Spirit Squad, often known as the Golden Gophers Spirit Squads, is a group of best cheerleading colleges at the University of Minnesota.
The University of Minnesota is known as the “Cheerleading Capital of the World.” Essentially, the cheerleading coach’s goal is to assist student-athletes in developing their academic and physical abilities.
In the end, they produce Minnesota ambassadors who are intelligent, truthful, and selfless.
2. The University of Kentucky is located in Lexington, Kentucky.
The University of Kentucky’s cheerleading group is one of the best cheerleading colleges in the country. In the World Fans’ Championships, the Kentucky cheerleading group has dominated.
In addition, Kentucky college cheerleaders have won the Universal Cheerleaders Association’s 22nd national championship.
3. Concordia University is located in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
Concordia University’s among best cheerleading colleges in the United States. One of the things that sets their cheerleading programs apart is the ability to apply for cheerleading scholarships and awards.
Additionally, if the student-athlete continues to perform in sports and academics, this cheerleading scholarship can be renewed each year.
4. The University of Alabama is located in Birmingham, Alabama.
This is another best cheerleading colleges in England. There are two cheerleading squads at the University of Alabama: an all-girls squad and a coed squad. The All-girls Cheer squad mostly supports women’s basketball, volleyball, gymnastics, and home football games.
The Coed squad, on the other hand, is a fan of both home and away football games, as well as men’s basketball.
5. The University of Central Florida is located in Orlando, Florida.
There are 16 men and 16 women in the UCF cheerleading squad. The cheerleading squad at UCF is one of the best in the country. that is why is among the best cheerleading colleges.
At all home and away football games, men’s and women’s basketball games, home volleyball games, and community engagements, UCF cheerleaders represent the university.
Scholarships ranging from $1,000 to $2,000 per year are awarded to 16 of the best new prospects and returning team members.
Nike is a sponsor of the UCF cheerleading squad. As a result, all of their training equipment, clothes, shoes, warm-ups, bags, and other items are provided to students at no cost.
6. University of Hawaii is a public university in Hawaii.
One of the best cheerleading colleges in the United States is the University of Hawaii.
Nonetheless, they not only have a fantastic squad, but they also have a great fan base, with 12 to 14 full-time cheerleading scholarships.
7. Delaware State University is a public university in Delaware.
When talking about best cheerleading colleges Delaware much be mention. The University of Delaware cheerleading team won its second consecutive national title in the Universal Support Association’s Open Division I in February 2020.
Support scholarships of up to $7,500 are awarded to each cheerleader at Delaware State University.
8. Oklahoma Panhandle State University is a public university in Oklahoma.
Oklahoma Panhandle State University is one of the best cheerleading colleges in the country, with a strong fan base.
Oklahoma Panhandle State University cheerleaders get scholarships for both in-state and out-of-state student-athletes.
Financial aid of up to $10,500 is available to each of them. You must, however, have a GPA of at least 2.5.
9. The University of Mississippi is located in Oxford, Mississippi.
Mississippi is another best cheerleading colleges. The University of Mississippi is looking for cheerleaders to represent the school on game days, in the community, and online.
However, the recruitment qualifications are fairly stringent, including professionalism/speaking talents, physical training, academic performance, inhibition, and looks.
You must be accepted, currently enrolled, or have applied to the University of Mississippi before applying.
10. The University of Southern California is a public research university in Los Angeles, California.
In the sporting world, the USC Cheerleaders are a huge fish. They want to compete at national competitions for the University of Southern California.
Southern California is another best cheerleading colleges
You must, however, have cheerleading experience and a GPA of at least 2.5.
College Cheerleaders: Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Cheer in College if I Have Never Cheered Before?
Yes, it is feasible to cheer without previous cheerleading expertise. This is, however, a choice that must be made by the school.
Tumbling, for example, is one of the most difficult cheer abilities to perfect. However, if you want to join a non-competitive team or a spirit squad, you only need the essential skills.
However, in order to minimize mishaps, we recommend that you learn and master the cheer abilities before deciding to cheer.
What Universities Recruit Cheerleaders?
- Here is a list of some of the cheering recruitment colleges:
- Lutheran Church of California
- Recruiting for the Cal State Fullerton cheerleading squad.
- Recruiting for Bakersfield College Cheerleading.
- Recruiting for the cheerleading squad at Cal State San Bernardino.
- Cheerleading Recruiting at the Academy of Art University.
- Recruiting for Cheerleading at California Baptist University.
What Is The Process For Getting A D1 Cheerleading Scholarship?
To obtain a Division 1 scholarship, regardless of position, you must have an instant effect or impact on the cheerleading team.
Division 1 scholarships are typically awarded to college cheerleaders that excel at tumbling, stunting, dancing, and jumping.
In addition, students with a high cumulative GPA are given preference for the cheering scholarship.
What Is the Way to Get Into a Best College Cheerleading Program?
Here are some things you can do to prepare for the day:
The Night Before: Make Your Preparations
Examine The Team’s ‘Appearance’
Introduce yourself by reaching out.
Make It Easy For Yourself To Succeed.
Allow your personality to shine through.
Pay Close Attention To The Details.
Also, be familiar with the material.
When Should You Begin Your Cheerleading College Search?
The greatest time to begin your college cheerleading search is when you are transitioning from high school to college cheerleading.
The cheerleading recruiting process isn’t easy, but if you follow the tips we’ve provided, you’ll be able to go through it without breaking a sweat.
Also, if you play your cards well, you might be able to receive the best cheerleading colleges scholarship.
Trust you found our article on 50 Best Cheerleading Colleges in 2023 / How To Get Admitted helful. follow our website for more interesting articles.